505 Greenwich Street
505 Greenwich Street, New York, NY
|505 Greenwich Street|
505 Greenwich Street
|Developer||Metropolitan Housing Partnership and the Synchron Corporation.|
|Architect||Gary Handel & Associates|
|Number of Units||104|
|Number of Floors||14|
|Type of Roof||IRMA|
|505 Greenwich Street, New York, NY|
|Distance to Public Transit||Within one block|
|Region||New York City|
|Municipality||New York City|
|Title of Land||Condominium|
BackgroundGeorge Washington used a mansion located on a large estate of land in the area of 505 Greenwich Street as his headquarters during the American Revolution. Aaron Burr, who bought the property and in 1797, proceeded to divide the land into the streets of Charlton, King and Vandam and 25 by 100 foot lots.
The James Brown House at 326 Spring Street was built in this era in 1817 and is one of the more well known examples of the historic Federal style architecture. On the ground level is the Ear Inn which is one of New York’s oldest taverns and is still operational as a pub today.
In 1999 New York started an ambitious project called the Hudson River Park. It continues to expand and presently comprises 550 acres and five miles of riverfront biking and running paths. The Park is New York’s ultimate sports playground and steps away from the residents at 505 Greenwich Street. Visitors can partake in any field sport, basketball, tennis, bowling, baseball, golf, skating, rock climbing, running, skateboard, swimming, trapeze, sunbathing, walking and sightseeing.
This area of Manhattan has fairly recently been referred to as Hudson Square or West Soho.
Hudson Square has its boundaries at West Houston Street to the north, Canal Street to the south, Varick Street to the east and to the west, West Street.
A main highlight of this area has been the entrance to the Holland Tunnel via Canal Street. The tunnel is named after the chief engineer Clifford Holland and was completed in 1927 after seven years of construction. It was the first vehicle tunnel built under the Hudson River connecting New York with New Jersey. The ventilation system engineered specifically for this tunnel and its vehicular traffic required enough fans to completely change the air in the tunnel every 90 seconds eliminating carbon monoxide.
Hudson Square is home to a great mix of architecture. Most recently the Trump Soho Hotel Condominium at 246 Spring Street, was completed in 2009 at a height of 46 floors. It sits towering over historic Federal style row homes and architecturally interesting buildings like the Urban Glass House at 330 Spring Street and the Greenwich Street Project at 497 Greenwich Street. Streets are wide and the commercial buildings are mostly low rise and of industrial size. Trendy Soho is within walking distance as is the Hudson River Park and Tribeca.
It is a short walk to either the #1 subway line on Canal Street or the A,C line at Spring Street. Despite the flavor of live and work, this small neighborhood offers nine restaurants and bars within 200 feet of 505 Greenwich Street and with a walk score of 98, all your necessities can be found nearby.
Architecture and design of this building emulates the look and feel of the large printing shops that were once a dominant industry in West Soho.
On its first two levels, the exterior at 505 Greenwich is oxidized copper plating with copper light boxes and bead-blasted stainless-steel doors. It was built with pre-cast concrete and walls of glass that rise above the second level. This design sets the building apart from the brick row houses built in the Federal style, common in this area.
Appearing as two towers, this project is one, connected by a common lobby, courtyard and retail space. It has won several architectural design awards for its innovation.
Layout and Features
Homes range in size from 722 square feet to 2400 square feet and were designed for family living. The 75 different layouts are mostly spacious with a couple of floor plans accommodating four and five bedrooms with several bathrooms. The private courtyard offers privacy from the street and leads to a common lobby adorned with river rock, black bamboo, burnished copper, Jerusalem limestone and a 24 hour concierge.
Homes are equipped with Bosch and Viking appliances and have their own private laundry. Finishes chosen include Pietra Bedonia marble, Tanzania Anigre wood, slate, cherry, porcelain and rare mahogany.
Terraces and gardens are found in some of the floor plans otherwise there are no balconies.
There are 75 different floor plans for the 104 suites available. Some examples are:
Amenities in 505 Greenwich are practical and modern including:
- Fitness center
- 24 hour concierge
- Pet spa
- Bicycle room
- Storage units
- Wine refrigerators
- Private courtyard
- Washers and dryers
|505 Greenwich Street Bylaws|
This building is pet friendly and offers residents the use of a private pet spa.
There are many parks including specific dog run areas available nearby, making this location especially good for dog owners.
Rentals are allowed and there are no age restrictions.
Barbecues are allowed on the terraces.
Many of the fine products used in finishing the homes at 505 Greenwich Street are very durable and long wearing reducing the volume of waste created when inferior products need to be replaced within a shorter period of time.
There is no need to travel far for any recreation cravings with Hudson River Park at your doorstep. Most necessities are within walking distance and if not, access to public transit is easy and bike rentals are close.
The building encourages bike use and residents are able to store their bikes in a dedicated bike storage room.
- The Ear Inn at 326 Spring Street was built in 1817 and at that time was run as a tavern. It became known as a speakeasy during the Prohibition and at one point was known as the Green Door. When New York City honored it with a Historic building status, it also honored it with an extensive review process for making any changes or renovations. New owners avoided this lengthy process when going to rename the business by changing the B in BAR to an E on the sign, thus creating a new name and sign for the establishment which was the Ear Inn. The Ear Magazine was being published in an upstairs business so the name was fitting and the signage rules satisfied.
- Next door to the Urban Glass House on the corner of Spring Street and West Street overlooking the Hudson River is the Department of Sanitation Garage. The controversial building when complete will be 142 feet tall and most likely block the views of residents in the Glass House. The Garage will be used to house 150 garbage trucks, personnel, fueling facility, equipment and salt. Where Lispenard Meadows once was is about to be a new garbage garage.
- The Holland Tunnel connecting New York to New Jersey was at one time the longest underwater tunnel. One of the first passengers through the tunnel after midnight on the opening day of November 13, 1927 was the wife of deceased engineer who the tunnel was named after, followed closely by a truck with a shipment destined for Bloomingdale's in Manhattan.
- Wikipedia-Federal Architecture
- Wikipedia-James Brown House
- Hudson River Park
- Wikipedia-Holland Tunne
- Handel Architects
- City Realty
- New York Curbed
- Wikipedia-Holland tunnel
Discussion Forumblog comments powered by Disqus
Ratings are submitted by users like you - Condopedia makes no guarantees or endorsements.