518 Beatty Street, Vancouver, BC
518 Beatty (middle building) was once one of a row of warehouses and commercial buildings
|Developer||Jonathan Storey and Roderick Campbell, Jr.|
|Architect||William Tuff Whiteway|
|Management Company||Vancouver Condo|
|Number of Units||47|
|Number of Floors||8|
|Type of Roof||Tar and gravel|
|518 Beatty Street, Vancouver, BC|
|Distance to Public Transit||Over 50 options nearby|
|Title of Land||Strata|
In 1892, Jonathan Storey and Roderick Campbell, Jr. set up the Storey and Campbell Company. When the company started, it was selling horse & wagon gear(harnesses, saddlery, trunks, etc). However, as the automobile began to change the transportation industry, Storey and Campbell also changed and became the sole British Columbian agents for Studebaker commercial trucks. Their company’s territory eventually covered most of Western Canada from Vancouver to Winnipeg. By the mid twentieth century, the company changed gears again and shifted to distributing dry goods and small appliances.
Storey and Campbell had the building at 518 Beatty Street constructed in 1911 as a company warehouse, sales office, and showroom. They hired prominent Canadian architect William Tuff Whiteway. The eight-story building was completed in 1911. The location of the Storey and Campbell Warehouse was determined by the diagonal spur line that ran between the Canadian Pacific Railway main line on the Gastown waterfront and the marshaling yards on False Creek. This building was situated to allow rail access at the back of the building.
This location adjacent to rail lines was an important boon for the company until the mid-twentieth century when distribution mostly changed from rail to truck. One building feature that would have been unusual for the early 1900s was a sprinkler system connected with the fire department.
In 1940, the building’s storefront was changed under the direction of architect Thomas Logan Kerr, who is known for designing several local theatres. The building remained the Storey and Campbell Warehouse until 1951, when Storey and Campbell sold their dry goods business to the Gordon Mackay Company Ltd. of Toronto. Several other businesses, mostly in the garment industry, occupied the building until it was converted to condominiums in 1996.
518 Beatty is located in a row of buildings along the 500 block of Beatty Street, near the crossroad of Beatty Street and West Pender Street. Historically, this area of Beatty Street was a wholesale warehouse and commercial district, due to the fact that a railroad spur ran next to the buildings.
When distribution changed in the 1950's from rail to truck, many of these businesses moved to areas with better road access. Today, the area is a neighbourhood filled with small shops, restaurants,and cafes--as well as residential buildings. Well known places nearby include BC Place Stadium, Rogers Arena, the Vancouver Film School, Pigeon Park, Steamworks Vancouver, and the Old Spaghetti Factory.
The area is well served by numerous bus routes and the SkyTrain. The Stadium-Chinatown SkyTrain station is just a few blocks away. The area also has excellent bike lanes.
The eight-storey building at 518 Beatty is located mid-block on Beatty Street. It was built in 1911 as a warehouse. The building is at the edge of an escarpment, so it has an additional storey below the Beatty Street level. The lower level faces the lane behind the building and what once was a railway spur line.
The building is representative of warehouses in the Edwardian era. It was designed by architect William Tuff Whiteway. The building is steel-framed with an exterior brick facade. The facade has a balanced and elegant design, with an elaborate cornice and semi-circular pediment, giant wall pillars, and a rusticated base.
Large windows in groups of three reoccur evenly on each storey. The hopper-hinged, wood sash windows have stone sills and window heads. The back elevation has a plain facade with large windows and a loading bay.
In 1940, the building’s storefront was redesigned by architect Thomas Logan Kerr and in 1996 the interiors were converted into condominiums.
Layout and Features
518 Beatty is a beautiful 1911 heritage building. The historic nature of the building can be seen in many of the details and features of the apartments, such as the hardwood floors, exposed brick, and cedar beam features. The units come with all modern features, as well, such as gourmet kitchens with stainless steel appliances and modern European-style bathrooms.
Unit amenities include:
- Hardwood flooring
- Cherry wood cabinets
- European style bathrooms
- Custom grand fireplace (some units)
- Custom wood stairs & steel/wire railing (some units)
- Exposed brick features
- Stainless steel appliances
- Granite counters
- Gas stove
- Sandblasted concrete walls
- 10'/12' wood beam ceilings
- Décor style electrical wall cover plates
- Modern halogen track lighting
- Lots of storage space
There are fifty different apartments at 518 Beatty with numerous different floor plans from 55 square metres (593 square feet) to 142 square metres (1526 square feet). A few sample floor plans are below:
Building amenities include:
- Communal rooftop deck with barbecue space
- 1911 fixtures in the lobby and common areas
- Secure parking
- 360 degree views of Vancouver from the roof deck
|518 Beatty Bylaws|
- Pets are welcome
- Rentals are allowed after two years of ownership
- There is no age restriction
- There is a communal barbecue area on the rooftop terrace
The 518 Beatty Street property is a historic 1911 building and was therefore not designed as a green building. The 1996 conversion to condominiums, however, did install a rooftop terrace.
Residents seeking to further shrink their carbon footprint can make use of the excellent location of the apartments. The building is close to many different public transportation options and excellent bike lanes.
The building's proximity to all restaurants, bars, markets, and cafes also allows residents to choose walking when seeking out these amenities.
- 518 Beatty is a Canadian Heritage Building.
- William Tuff Whiteway, the architect of 518 Beatty, is most well known for building the Sun Tower located right next to 518 Beatty.
- The Beatty Street Drill Hall, located several blocks away at 620 Beatty Street, is supposedly haunted. Several people report having seen the apparition of a man in the mess halls, though the most common report is of strange noises being heard, books falling from shelves, and items falling from the walls.
- Nearby 550 Beatty Street, Beatty Gate building, Stadium-Chinatown SkyTrain station, and Victory Square have all been used as film locations for different movies or television shows.
- Historic Places in Canada
- Walk Score
- Historic Places in Canada
- BC Condos: 518 Beatty
- Walk Score
- Ghosts of Vancouver
- Movie Maps
Discussion Forumblog comments powered by Disqus
Ratings are submitted by users like you - Condopedia makes no guarantees or endorsements.