88 Morningside Avenue, New York City, NY
Grey brick featuring prominently on 88 Morningside
|Number of Units||73|
|Number of Floors||12|
|Type of Roof||IRMA|
|88 Morningside Avenue, New York City, NY|
|Distance to Public Transit||Less than one block|
|Region||New York City|
|Municipality||New York City|
|Title of Land||Condominium|
Backgroundhigh rise built in 2010. Located in Central Harlem, it is across the street from Morningside Park and it offers all the excitement and convenience of city living with the tranquility of nature just a stone's throw away.
88 Morningside boasts a contemporary design, countless amenities, and stunning views of one of the world's most famous urban neighborhoods.Harlem has been in a constant state of evolution since it was first founded as a Dutch village in 1658. Since the early 20th century, Harlem has been synonymous with urban African-American culture. From the Great Migration on through the Harlem Renaissance to the present, it is a place of perpetual change.
Today the neighborhood is undergoing rapid gentrification, which brings its own challenges and opportunities. The bodegas may have been replaced by upscale cafes and delis, but Harlem retains its famous residential enclaves and cultural institutions. This building is what is known as a condop. Although it is a cooperative, it is managed more like a condominium and there is greater freedom when it comes to such things as subletting.
Central Harlem itself has seen a great deal of gentrification in the past few years, as it is more affordable than downtown Manhattan and it has convenient public transportation. The neighborhood revolves around Marcus Garvey Park which is bounded by 120th street, 124th street, and Madison Avenue.
Marcus Garvey Park was the sight of the Harlem Cultural Festival (also known as Black Woodstock) during the summer of 1969. Another famous local historic sight is the Apollo Theater, located at 253 West 125th Street, which has been giving a home to African-American performers for a hundred years.
Perhaps the Apollo is best known for its amateur nights that were started in 1934 by Ralph Cooper and continue today. Countless well known performers got their start at amateur nights, including Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Lauryn Hill, and Mariah Carey.
The Apollo Theater is a short, three block walk from 88 Morningside. Even closer is the Studio Museum in Harlem, located at 144 West 125th Street. Opened in 1968, the Studio Museum has served as a catalyst in the promotion of African-American artists, and plays an important role in the lively arts culture of Harlem.
Dining and shopping are both within easy walking distance. Amsterdam Avenue is a hot spot for trendy new restaurants and tapas lounges, as is Frederick Douglass Boulevard. The Harlem Lanes are also close by for a night of bowling. 88 Morningside is one block west from Columbia University. Trains are minutes away and will take you right downtown.
Constructionconcrete walls with large, semi-reflective windows. There are between five to eight suites per floor. Nine suites are three bedroom versions, sixteen are two bedroom layouts, and 48 are one bedroom apartments.
88 Morningside was designed by GF55 Partners and developed by BOS Development, Horsford & Poteat Realty, and The Bluestone Organization in 2010.
The design is chic and current, with each residence creatively balancing natural contrasts. The large windows provide sweeping views of Morningside Park and the Manhattan skyline. The suites have an open design where spaces flow from one function to another.
Layout and Features
88 Morningside features an attended lobby, a roof deck with an outdoor kitchen, a media lounge, a fitness center, a virtual concierge, in-suite laundry, and on-site storage. Some suites have balconies.
Finishes begin with dark maple floors that streamline into matching lower cabinets in the kitchen, which are then offset by white lacquer upper cabinetry.
Each suite boasts a European appliance package, including a Delonghi® gas range, Bosch® microwave and dishwasher and a paneled Liebherr® refrigerator. Counter tops are Blizzard CaesarStone® and the kitchen sinks are stainless steel with KWC® fixtures.
Master bathrooms are finished with white wall tile and deep black Senza stone tile. Bathrooms are accented with custom-made white Corian® and oak vanities and Artemide® lighting. Other fixtures include a Duravit® soaking tub or glass-enclosed shower with a 10 inch rain shower head.
More than 70 floor plans exist for 88 Morningside. Here's a taste:
- Attended Lobby
- Roof Deck with Kitchen
- Fitness Center
- Virtual Concierge
- Media Lounge
- On-site Storage
- Charcoal Finished Maple Flooring
- Bosch Washer and Dryer
- Oversized Windows
- Some Residences with terraces
- Blizzard CaesarStone counter tops
- Liebherr Refrigerator with Custom Door Panel
- Delonghi Range
- Bosch Microwave and Dishwasher
- Subprimo by KWC Kitchen Faucet
- Senza Stone Tub and Master Bath Floor Tile
- 63 Inch Duravit Tub
- 10 Inch Modern Rain Showerhead
- Rain Hand Shower
|88 Morningside Bylaws|
- Pets are allowed at 88 Morningside
- Rentals are permitted
- There are no age restrictions to ownership within the building
- A barbecue is provided on the roof deck
Huge strides are being made in the construction and marketing of sustainable green structures. There is little in the way of documentation to suggest that 88 Morningside followed these guidelines. However, the mere fact that the building was constructed in 2010 would indicate that many sustainable measures were taken.
Modern building codes and materials insist that techniques and products comply to safer environmental standards than has been seen in the past. Laws have been enacted for the safe and conscientious handling of construction waste materials. 88 Morningside and other new developments are bound to conform to these guidelines.
Human and pet safe products have been incorporated to reduce exposure to 'Volatile Organic Compounds', or VOC's, from products such as carpets, adhesives and paints. Building management and residents alike may also contribute to a more environmentally sound life style by participating in recycling programs provided by the city, equip suites with energy efficient appliances and lighting, and install low-flow fixtures and faucets.
- The 30 acre Morningside Park was proposed by the Central Park Commissioners of 1867 on a rugged cliff along Morningside Avenue that marks the border between Harlem and Morningside Heights. The park was proposed largely as a cost saving measure to avoid an expensive expansion of New York's street grid across difficult terrain. Morningside Park is referred to as one of New York City's best kept secrets even though its southern boundary is less than one block from Central Park's northern one.
- Morningside Heights is also the location of the Barnard College, still a highly selective liberal arts college for women since it first admitted students in 1889. It is tightly affiliated with Columbia University, but technically separate, responsible for hiring their own faculty. It is located on the cliffs overlooking Morningside Park.
- Morningside Heights is often considered to be part of the Upper West Side but has been carving out its own identity for some time. The area is home to several educational institutions like Columbia University, Manhattan School of Music, Teacher's College, and Barnard College, to name but a few. Numerous theological seminaries are also in the area, such as Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York, Jewish Theological Seminary of America, Interchurch Center and St. Luke's Hospital.
- Walk Score
- 88 Morningside - website
- United State Green Building Council - Initiatives
- Wikipedia - Morningside Park
- Barnard College
Discussion Forumblog comments powered by Disqus
Ratings are submitted by users like you - Condopedia makes no guarantees or endorsements.