650 6th Avenue, New York City, NY
The Cammeyer - Exterior
|Developer||Kumkang Housing Co.|
|Architect||Hubert, Piersson & Hoddick (original building); Perkins Eastman (Condominium Remodel)|
|Management Company||Douglas Elliman Property Management|
|Number of Units||67|
|Number of Floors||7|
|Type of Roof||IRMA|
|650 6th Avenue, New York City, NY|
|Distance to Public Transit||Over 50 options nearby|
|Region||New York City|
|Municipality||New York City|
|Title of Land||Condominium|
Designed by Hubert, Piersson & Hoddick, The Cammeyer went up in 1892 – beginning its life as nothing less than the world’s largest shoe store.
When store owner, Alfred Cammeyer, passed away in 1902, his name went with him. Years later, after several name (and brokerage) changes that left the building with some market struggles, the Core Group reinstated the Cammeyer name in honor of the building’s roots... and solved its marketing issues almost instantly.
Before his death, Alfred Cammeyer’s shoe store grew to become an integral part of Manhattan’s historic Ladies’ Mile – a stretch of boutiques and department stores that the city’s well-to-do recognized as the center of fashion and flair in prewar New York. In May of 1989, the New York City Landmark Preservation Commission granted The Cammeyer landmark status. 
The Cammeyer sits in the heart of Chelsea, at the intersection of 6th Avenue (The Avenue of the Americas) and 20th Street, with more than fifty public transit options nearby.
Even with a transit system that opens up the whole of New York, Chelsea itself is home to social landmarks like the Empire Diner, the Chelsea Market, and New York’s first cooperative apartment complex, the famous Hotel Chelsea. Hubert, Piersson & Hoddick – the same trio that designed the Cammeyer – designed Hotel Chelsea in 1883.
In addition to The Ladies’ Mile, Manhattan – and Chelsea in particular – is known for the ethnic diversity of its population, food, and retail. More recently, however, it’s also emerged as a hotspot for New York’s next generation of visual artists. In fact, quite a few former warehouse spaces in Chelsea have been reinvented as some of New York’s edgiest and most watched art galleries.
Most prewar apartments are known for their thick walls and solid concrete construction. The Cammeyer is no exception.
In 2007, Perkins Eastman remodeled the building to house 67 condominium loft residences, a gym and a rooftop common area. All the while, he maintained the original red brickwork, wrought iron balconies and terra cotta trim.
Interestingly, Eastman also maintained a certain prewar size and scope in the Cammeyer. Several of the suites span multiple levels and boast ceilings as high as 12 feet, giving them – and the building as a whole – a genuine “loftiness”. Eastman introduced sliding glass walls to separate greatrooms from bedrooms without interrupting the flow of the condo spaces.
Layout and Features
Cammeyer condominium lofts feature walnut flooring, and predominantly white color schemes. Virtually all of the spaces are distinct from one another in terms of layout – studio, one, two, or three bedrooms; single, or multi-level lofts.
The Cammeyer's "Boutique Lobby" is of particular interest. Such particular interest that Interior Design magazine featured it in a recent article.
Building developers hired Eren Chen, of New York's Office for Design and Architecture (ODA) specifically to design the lobby. It isn't large, hence "Boutique", but it certainly is grand. Chen used water jets to cut a pair of "trees" out of huge pieces of white Corian, and positioned them around the Concierge desk. A simulated skylight projects their shadows onto polished white walls in a branch motif that continues into the elevators. Chen's objective? To create an expression of "the new inside the old". Arguably, a sentiment that applies just as much to the Cammeyer's home on the Ladies' Mile as it does to the building itself.
A selection from among The Cammeyer's unique floor plans:
Amenities and services at The Cammeyer include:
- Roof deck
- Wine storage
- Private storage
- Concierge Service
- Full-Time Doorman
- Live-In Superintendent
- The Cammeyer is a pet-friendly building.
- There are no age restrictions on tenancy.
Hubert, Piersson & Hoddick designed the Cammeyer over 100 years ago. Long before issues like sustainability and environmental impact were of any concern to New Yorkers - or anyone else. But by the time it reopened for condo sales in 2007, the building's oversized loft windows had been refitted with energy efficient glass and seals. Also, the introduction of the common roof deck, finished with paving stones, indicates a retrofitted Inverted Roof Membrane Assembly (IRMA).
Though the relative expanse of the individual units doesn't much speak to heat or space efficiency, each unit's major appliances: refrigerators, stoves, light fixtures and so on, have all been updated to meet modern environmental standards. Residents are also encouraged to take their own measures to reduce environmental impact and improve sustainability:
- City-wide recycling programs
- Convenient and reliable public transition
- Environmentally friendly construction materials
- Proper waste disposal
- Directly across the street from The Cammeyer is the former Episcopal Church of the Holy Communion. In the style of Gothic Revival, Richard Upjohn designed the church circa 1850. More than a century later, it was converted into the Limelight Disco. When the disco closed, a series of retailers took over part of the church and, in 2012, it reopened as an International House of Pancakes - more commonly known as IHOP.
- Alfred Cammeyer, from whom the building takes its name, shares that name with a well-known zither banjo player. Cammeyer banjos are still made and played today.
Discussion Forumblog comments powered by Disqus
Ratings are submitted by users like you - Condopedia makes no guarantees or endorsements.