- 2983 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver, BC
- 3023 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver, BC
- 3083 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver, BC
Californian paradise in Kitsilano
|Management Company||Colyvan Pacific|
|Number of Units||122|
|Number of Floors||4|
|Construction Method||Wood Frame|
|Type of Roof||Tar and gravel|
|2983 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver, BC|
|Distance to Public Transit||Within a block|
|Title of Land||Strata|
Vancouver is often compared to California (specifically Los Angeles) for its "Hollywood North" associations in the film industry and for the laid-back, West Coast lifestyle of its residents. Vancouver's condominium building names reflect this comparison, such as the Californian, Surfcrest, and Delano - the last being the one discussed on this page.
Delano is an agricultural city in south central California, which, other than the name, does not have much else in common with Vancouver. Delano, California is known for its agricultural industry (particularly table grapes), whereas Vancouver is very much an urban city. Some key Vancouver economies include trade, film, natural resources, technology and tourism.
The neighbourhood that Delano (the freehold strata) is located in, however, is possibly as "beachy" as one could live in while still being in the city--it's just six blocks from English Bay and a close walk to Kitsilano Beach.
Delano is a four-level wood frame condominium with 122 units. It was built in 1997 and is run by Colyvan Pacific. Three separate buildings make up the complex built by Polygon, which all share a common fitness room and hot tub: 2983 West 4th Avenue, 3023 West 4th Avenue, and 3083 West 4th Avenue.
Delano is a three-building complex located between Tatlow Park and McBride Park on West 4th Avenue. Residents thus have ample choice in terms of green space, as well as nearby Jericho Beach and Kitsilano Beach, the latter which has pristine white sand, volleyball nets, a large pool, public facilities, and walking trails.
Residents at The Delano are within walking distance to the Kitsilano Community Centre, Kitsilano Showboat Society Theatre, and the Old Hastings Mill Store Museum. Grocery stores in the area include Safeway, Buy-Low Foods, Kit's Food Market, and Choices Market. Kitsilano has plenty of schools to choose from such as General Gordon Elementary School, Bayview Community Elementary School, St. John's School, Carnorvon Community Elementary School, and Kitsilano Secondary School.
While there is no SkyTrain line that runs through Kitsilano, the neighbourhood is serviced by a number of buses that pick people up right on West 4th Avenue: #2, 4, 7, 22, 32, 44, and 84. Residents who go to the University of British Columbia are directly on a bus route—numbers 44 and 84.
West 4th Avenue is the main street running through Kitsilano, offering restaurants, pubs, cafés, and trendy boutique stores. It has been a popular destination for tourists and locals since 1923.
Delano is a four level, low-rise building with wood frame construction. The exterior cladding is comprised mainly of EIFS stucco. The roof is made of tar and gravel, and the building was fitted with a rainscreen in 2003. The brownish-grey colour is typical of residential buildings built in the 1990s. Its stucco facade and playful typography on the sign "Delano" has a distinct West Coast feel to it. The unique Art Deco styling on the facade also references an older, more attention-grabbing architectural style.
Most of the 122 units have patios or balconies, and there is also an underground parking garage.
Layout and Features
The 122 units at The Delano have a variety of layouts. Most are one or two bedrooms with a large den or storage area. An attractive feature is the vaulted ceilings on the upper floors and the large patios for residents on the ground floors, which some sites call "garden paradises."
Beautiful trees, hedges, and flowers are planted around the building, offering shade and privacy while not obstructing views out the window and balcony of downtown to the north, English Bay and Burrard Inlet to the west, or the rest of Vancouver to the south. Gas fireplaces and in-suite laundry come with the suites.
Most units have been upgraded since 1997 with fresh paint, hardwood floors, and new kitchens featuring stainless steel appliances.
At least one underground parking space is available for residents.
-  While there are no floor plans publicly available for The Delano, you can click on the link in the References section for a video of a layout in 3023 West 4th Avenue.
Delano offers the following amenities to residents:
- hot tub
- bike storage
- north-facing views
- common area garden and patio
- resident manager
- Delano is a pet-friendly building
- Rentals and barbecues are allowed
- There is no age restriction
Seeing that The Delano was built in 1997, it did not have much going for it in the way of sustainability, and one website notes that it initially had some issues.
Fortunately, the building has since improved by the installation of its rainscreen to the highest standards in 2003-2004. Now it is a well-maintained building with a resident manager on the grounds.
Residents with a green thumb can enjoy gardening on their spacious patio (if they're on the ground floor), or else on their balconies for those on the upper floors. There are many nearby green spaces and the beach for nature-lovers as well.
- Residents who are tea aficionados will appreciate David's Tea located on 2230 West 4th Avenue.
- Sophie's Cosmic Café on 2095 West 4th Avenue offers a retro dining experience, where celebrities Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively have been spotted in the past.
- Over 240 businesses make up the West 4th shopping experience spread over eight blocks. This stretch between Burrard and Macdonald Streets also hosts the annual summer KHATSAHLANO! Music + Art Festival, Vancouver's biggest outdoor music festival featuring indie acts, local artisans, street performers and other festivities.
- Lululemon Athletica, the famous clothing retailer, began on West 4th in the 1990s, and still runs that first store there today. Lululemon's international headquarters are just steps away on Burrard Street.
- Wikipedia-Delano, California
- Wikipedia-Economy of Vancouver
- BC Condos
- Walk Score
- Evelyn Singer Real Estate
- Video Openhouse
- Van Real Estate
- Live Kitsilano
- Khatsahlano Music & Arts Festival
- Shop West 4th
Discussion Forumblog comments powered by Disqus
Ratings are submitted by users like you - Condopedia makes no guarantees or endorsements.