999 North Doheny Drive, Los Angeles, CA
Exterior of Doheny West
|Management Company||Horizon Management Company|
|Number of Units||151|
|Number of Floors||13|
|Type of Roof||IRMA|
|999 North Doheny Drive, Los Angeles, CA|
|Distance to Public Transit||Within one block|
|Title of Land||Condominium|
The building rests just below the famed area of Sunset Boulevard on the west side of the Sunset Strip that offers very well known and high profile establishments. Los Angeles restaurants, nigh life, night clubs, and shopping are all within walking distance of Doheny West residences. The tower is also in the center of the entertainment industry, where many recording studios and production companies are situated.
Aside from Sunset Strip, notable attractions in the area include hotels such as Chateau Marmont, Andaz West Hollywood, Chamberlain West Hollywood Hotel, Mondrian and the Standard, The Pacific Design Center, architectural buildings such as The Schindler House by Rudolf Schindler and 9200 Sunset by architect Charles Luckman.
Now as the entertainment district, the top employer in West Hollywood is Ticketmaster, but the area also has a rich history. Dating back to the 1700s, European colonization came with the Portuguese explorer, João Rodrigues Cabrilho, who arrived offshore and claimed the region for Spain. At this time, dating back even farther, the area was already inhabited by 5,000 of the indigenous peoples of the Tongva Indian tribe.
With transportation less than one block away from Doheny West, travelling outside of the West Hollywood area is made easy for the residents. With a walk score of 83, Doheny West offers a convenient location that is close to restaurants, cafés, shopping, and outdoor places.
Nearby parks include West Hollywood Park, Greystone Park, and Beverly Gardens Park, which is a park along Santa Monica Boulevard that is 22 blocks or 1.9 miles long. Here residents can enjoy the two mile long jogging path, hundred year old trees, gardens, sculptures, and the famous Beverly Hills Sign. The semiannual art fair, "The Beverly Hills Art Show" is also held at the gardens.
The Franklin Canyon Reservoir is not too far away, as well as Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Elementary and Secondary schools are also a quick walk from Doheny West.
Doheny West is a concrete building developed in 1963 on a 29,826 square foot lot. The modern architectural style of Doheny West is constructed of concrete and steel, with many balconies and windows visible from the exterior.
The exterior façade is exposed concrete and white in color, fitting in with the West Hollywood neighborhood. The building stands at 14 storeys, or 43.00 meters in height.
Layout and Features
Studio apartments to two-bedroom units are offered at Doheny West Tower, ranging in size from 496 square feet to 1,010 square feet, and all offering balconies. Many of the units are updated with features like hardwood floors, custom wood work, and bedrooms with sliding pocket doors. The units make great use of their space.
Most of the kitchens have been updated with top of the line stainless steel appliances, eating bars, and granite counter tops with under-mount sinks. An attractive feature in the residences is the exposed beams and walls, as well as the historic hardwood floors and large walk-in closets.
Each residence offers a private, covered balcony for views of downtown LA, Beverley Hills, and the Pacific Ocean.
Few floor plans are currently published for Doheny West.
Here is one example of a renovation that combined two studio apartments into a fashionable one bedroom unit:
Five star amenities at Dohoney West include:
- Valet Parking
- Fitness Center
|Doheny West Bylaws|
- Pets are allowed under 25 pounds
- Rentals are allowed with some restrictions. No short term rentals are allowed under one year at Doheny West.
- There are no age restrictions on ownership
Eco-friendly materials are used at the Doheny West Tower residences, including bamboo flooring.
New windows and sliding glass doors are double-pane to heating and air conditioning costs at a low. Most units have been updated with energy efficient appliances and lighting, and all of the units offer the residents the convenience and sustainable aspect of nearby public transportation.
- An attraction that the area of West Hollywood, where Doheny West is located, is well known for is The Schindler House, also known as the Schindler Chace house.
- Designed by architect Rudolf Schindler, The Schindler House was meant to be a live/work residence for two young families, but does not offer conventional living, dining, or bedrooms in the house. Instead of bedrooms, Schindler chose to go with two rooftop sleeping baskets.
- The house has concrete walls and sliding glass panels constructed from industrial materials, and the open floor plan integrates the external environment into the house.
- Schindler lived at the house until his death in 1953, alongside his friend, Richard Neutra and his wife and son. Schindler's wife, Pauline, lived at the house until she departed from her husband in 1927.
- Many famous and creative people lived in the house, including art dealer Galka Scheyer, dancer John Bovingdon, novelist Theodore Dreiser, photographer Edward Weston and composer John Cage.
- The house set a precedent for Californian architecture in general.
Discussion Forumblog comments powered by Disqus
Ratings are submitted by users like you - Condopedia makes no guarantees or endorsements.